These Release Notes contain a summary of changes made for the January 11-12, 2022 release of Echo360. For changes made in previous deployments, see the other Release Notes articles located in this Topic group, or contact email@example.com.
In the face of possible campus disruptions due to the rapid spread of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, we have updated our Remote Learning documentation, specifically the Guide to Academic Continuity During Campus Disruptions and the Distance Learning Quick Start Guide. Please refer to the suggestions and linked procedural documentation to help with your contingency plans for reaching quarantined students or in the event of campus shutdowns.
Updates will continue as needed to provide the educational community with as much targeted information and direction as possible. The downloadable quick reference PDFs in particular are currently in progress, and updated versions will be attached to the associated articles as they are completed.
Groups Media now also appears in your Echo360 Library – As we continue to work on the improvements to our Groups functionality, users can now access Group media from their Echo360 Library. Providing library visibility of Group media helps streamline viewing and working with that media, removing the need to go to the Groups page to access it.
Improved Reporting for Administrators – A number of improvements have been made to the data available to Administrators via the Admin Dashboard page as well as through the Reporting API and MDR (monthly data reports). Those improvements include:
- Engagement Card – the interactions and counts provided on the Engagement card no longer simply “increment” the activity shown when Discussion posts are edited. Only posts and responses are now counted in the interactions tally.
- Top Sections Report – the activity and interaction tally used to identify the Top Sections (sections that have the most student engagement) no longer include edits to either Polling responses or Discussion posts. The interaction counts now more accurately reflect actual student engagement with the course materials and each other.
- Monthly Data Report – for reports generated monthly to provide institutions with engagement data, the activity and interaction counts no longer include edits to polling responses or discussion posts. The interaction counts now more accurately reflect actual student engagement with the course materials and each other.
- Reporting API: Polling and Polling v2 Reports – Edits to originally given polling question responses are no longer included in these reports. The engagement data provided now only includes the given question and the provided answer, without counting response edits as an additional entry.
In addition, a note has been added to the Polling by User – Presentation documentation citing that this report is slated to be replaced by the V2 report, and that users should begin using the V2 report in place of the original as soon as feasible.
- Video Assets Report – No content changes were made to this report, however we have improved the load times and performance of the report for larger institutions that have a high number of reportable video assets.
Polling Feedback for Screen Readers – For users who use screen readers to interact with Echo360 media, after responding to an interactive media polling question, the instructor-provided feedback is now read to the student immediately after submitting the response, rather than after a subsequent click to “continue” with media playback.
Improved LMS page loading with embedded media – We have simplified the way the embedded player loads in an LMS/VLE context. For course designs that show multiple embedded Echo360 videos on the same page, instead of attempting to load the player and preview for all embedded media on the page at the same time, only the media initially in view are loaded. Loading other player instances on the page is deferred until the viewer has scrolled to their location. As in prior releases, the initial preview load is replaced with the full player when the user selects to begin playback.
Support for Kuando USB light – We have added support for the use of the newer Kuando capture control lights (Busylight Alpha Model 2 and Busylight Omega Model 2) with the Echo360 Pro and Pod appliances.
Media Activity entry for video restore – The Activity Tab of the media details page for video media now indicates if any user has selected to “Restore to original” for the media. This accompanies existing activity notifications of any other video editing actions that have been taken on the selected media.
More robust support for live streams - We have introduced additional stream inspection capabilities to the live stream player in order to ensure that live streams are available to all viewers even if some stream rates are reporting unavailable.
More accurate duration for inserted media – When using the Insert Media feature of the video media editor, the duration shown in the editor now updates to display the predicted duration of the completed edits, to include both inserted and removed segments.
Device Software Update: 6.0.740200520
- Fixed an issue during media editing where the system inserting a placeholder video in one media track would not always retain the clips or edits from the other track. This was released as a hotfix.
- Addressed an issue where the wrong duration for a class would appear in the class list if the class contained API-imported content and the original class duration was set to something other than a multiple of 5 minutes.
- Resolved several display inconsistencies in the Consolidated Analytics tool > Views page and in the view data download.
- Image polls can now be saved properly when identifying the correct solution with a dot rather than a larger “click and drag” location identifier.
- Resolved a variety of minor issues surrounding the editing of polls, including font disparities, error message inaccuracy, and correct answer identification (ordered list polls).
- The media filter for embedding media in an LMS/VLE now properly clears the number of applied filters when cancelling selected filter options.
- For Multiple Choice Polls that have embedded media via URL, if the URL provided is not Embed.ly-supported, the display of the poll now properly formats the text shown as a clickable link, which opens the item for students in a new tab.
- Clicking on a Library Poll from the interactive media editor now properly previews the selected poll.
- A variety of fixes have been completed related to the Insert Media feature of the Echo360 video media editor. These resolved items that had been listed in the Known Issues section of the documentation article have been removed.
- Resolved an issue where Pro devices were not retaining proxy information specified in the Room Configuration.