These Release Notes contain a summary of changes made for the November 3-4, 2020 release of Echo360. For changes made in previous deployments, see the other Release Notes articles located in this Topic group, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As you may be aware, Echo360 is in the End of Life (EOL) process for the SafeCapture HD (SCHD). We plan to phase out both technical support and functional support in the platform over the following timeline:
- April 1st, 2020: Echo360 has ended Software Support
Echo360 is no longer providing software updates for the SCHD appliance. This policy applies to enhancements, bug fixes, and security patches. Echo360 will continue to test SCHD appliances with improving versions of the Echo360 cloud platform until the End of Life date. In addition, the Echo360 Support Team will continue to assist customers with configuring and managing SCHD appliances until the End of Life date.
- December 30th, 2020: End of Life
Echo360 will no longer ensure functionality of the SCHD appliance in any way. Echo360 will no longer test the SCHD on new cloud service releases and the Echo360 Support Team will no longer continue to diagnose or solve issues impacting SCHD units still in the field at that time.
You may continue to use functioning SCHDs for as long as you wish; however, we cannot guarantee the functionality of hardware/software compatibility with the Echo360 cloud platform past the above dates. If you have any questions about your transition to another capture method, please contact your Echo360 representative.
Upcoming Deployment Schedule
In order to accommodate the year-end holidays, Echo360 will be skipping the deployment that would otherwise occur the last week of December, per our normal two-week deployment schedule.
Therefore, the next few deployments will occur as follows:
- Nov 3-4, 2020 (this one)
- Nov 17-18, 2020
- Dec 1-2, 2020
- Dec 15-16, 2020
- Jan 12-13, 2021 (4 weeks after previous)
Simplified LMS Provisioning now allows for Term selection by Instructors. The LMS Simplified Provisioning feature, which allows the LMS to create Echo360 courses and sections when an LTI Tool link is completed, now gives Administrators the option to ask Instructors to place the new section into an Active or Future term.
For more information, see Turning On LMS Simplified Course Provisioning.
Several enhancements have been made when viewing content outside of Echo360.
- When creating a new embed, the “tall” embed that includes the Transcript Panel is no longer used. Instead, the player now includes a Transcript button that will launch the Full-Tab player in order to display the transcript. Previously created embeds will still use the “tall” version and will need to be re-created if desired.
Note that re-creating LMS embeds of media will create a second LMS location entry in the Analytics tab of the Media Details page, as well as in the Polling tab Course selection list for embedded interactive media.
- The Full-Tab player now has a Theater Mode button that allows you view content in a large player.
See Viewing Content outside of Echo360 for more information.
Alt-Text field for Multiple Choice Polls - Multiple Choice polls, for use in interactive media and presentations, now provide an alt-text field for uploaded images. This allows poll creators to enter descriptive text (up to 500 characters) about the image, that can then be read by screen readers for low or non-sighted users.
See Creating a Multiple Choice Poll for more information.
Updated Echo360 Building Block for Blackboard. Echo360 has updated its building block for Blackboard to accommodate the upcoming change in Blackboard’s content editor. After the update, the Echo360 Video Library tool will now reside in the Add Content list for Blackboard content windows. The new version is 1.0.13 and you are strongly encouraged to install it as soon as possible. It is FULLY compatible with EXISTING Blackboard content windows so you can install it at any time prior to Blackboard’s implementation of their editor changes.
For more information, see Adding an Echo360 Video Option to Blackboard Content Tools.
Echo360 has removed the Primary Instructor designation from sections. There is now no delineation between any instructors assigned to courses/sections in Echo360. All instructors have the same rights and permissions within a section and are allowed or restricted from features based on feature toggle settings equally.
Device Software Update: 6.0.703977713
- The “Unique Viewers” values for Anonymous and Authenticated Users are now being updated correctly in the Overview Ribbon or Total Views section.
- Total Time View calculation in the Analytics download from the Media Details page now correctly matches the Total Time View calculation shown in the interface.
- Resolved an issue where the Universal Capture: Device interface was not showing the Live status badge correctly.
- Resolved an issue where recordings created with Universal Capture were stopping if network connection was lost.
- Addressed an issue with the Transcript Editor where selecting to edit the current transcript no longer allows you to save it as a new version until you make some change to it.
- Resolved an issue where Image Polls created and published through the Echo360 PowerPoint Ribbon Add-on were resulting in an image not found error if the poll was edited in Echo360.