These Release Notes contain a summary of changes made for the September 22-23, 2020 release of Echo360. For changes made in previous deployments, see the other Release Notes articles located in this Topic group, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As you may be aware, Echo360 is in the End of Life (EOL) process for the SafeCapture HD (SCHD). We plan to phase out both technical support and functional support in the platform over the following timeline:
- April 1st, 2020: Echo360 has ended Software Support
Echo360 is no longer providing software updates for the SCHD appliance. This policy applies to enhancements, bug fixes, and security patches. Echo360 will continue to test SCHD appliances with improving versions of the Echo360 cloud platform until the End of Life date. In addition, the Echo360 Support Team will continue to assist customers with configuring and managing SCHD appliances until the End of Life date.
- December 30th, 2020: End of Life
Echo360 will no longer ensure functionality of the SCHD appliance in any way. Echo360 will no longer test the SCHD on new cloud service releases and the Echo360 Support Team will no longer continue to diagnose or solve issues impacting SCHD units still in the field at that time.
You may continue to use functioning SCHDs for as long as you wish; however, we cannot guarantee the functionality of hardware/software compatibility with the Echo360 cloud platform past the above dates. If you have any questions about your transition to another capture method, please contact your Echo360 representative.
Ad Hoc Captures on Appliances are back in the Main Menu!
If enabled, Instructors can once again create ad hoc captures on appliances from within the Echo360 platform, rather that needing a direct URL to the device.
See Creating a New Device Ad Hoc Capture for more information.
Zoom Meetings can now be auto published to a course.
If the instructor or teaching assistant has a course open at the time, when they click Zoom Meeting from the Create button, they are given the option to create a class to hold the meeting when it’s finished. Echo360 will automatically publish that meeting to the class after it has been copied into Echo360.
See Launching a Zoom Meeting from Echo360 for more information.
Several substantive and visual enhancements to the Media Analytics page, including:
- Time Range drop-down list - Allows users to change the data shown to limit it to a particular pre-configured time range (Last 7 days, Last 30 days, Last 90 days, Last 12 months).
- Total Views count - The bar chart now contains a Total Views label in the top right corner, with a total count of views for the Time Range and Media Location selected.
- Data Download - The analytics data shown can now be downloaded to a CSV file. The download, like the bar chart, total views, and view-by-location data are subject to the Time Range and the Media Location selections, allowing users to download only the data they want.
- View Counts are more accurate, and now include only those views that also have a view duration associated with them. This change was released as a hotfix.
See Viewing Analytics on the Media Details page for more information.
Dual Videos for Media Editor - The Media Editor has been updated to provide side by side playback of dual stream content. See Editing Videos for more information.
Zoom Cloud Recording integration no longer requires a public download link - We have updated our integration with Zoom so that cloud recordings can still be ingested into Echo360 even if the host has not enabled download access by link. This update does not require any change by administrators.
Zoom Transcripts can now accompany the Zoom meeting recordings into Echo360. Zoom can provide automated transcriptions of meetings IF the institution’s Zoom license provides for transcriptions and IF the Audio transcript option has been enabled for Cloud Recordings.
Known Issue: Some Zoom audio transcripts include speaker names in the text of the cues instead of using speaker tags. We are working with Zoom to resolve this issue.
Students can now apply Transcripts as Closed Captions - Echo360 now allows students who may be assigned to edit the transcriptions for class/course media to apply those edited transcriptions as Closed Captions. This feature enables the Apply to CC button in the Transcript Editor for Students for media they do not own. This ability is controlled by a feature toggle for the Institution and can be enabled or disabled as needed.
See Allow Students to Apply Transcripts as Closed Captions for more information.
Groups feature toggles descriptions have been changed to be clearer about their functionality. The toggles only determine if the selected user role can create groups; all users can be members (and even owners) of groups regardless of these toggle settings.
Device Software Update: 6.0.700449482
- Addressed an issue where Student Zoom recordings were being ingested into Echo360 even if the Student Library was turned off.
- The following items were released as hotfixes:
- Resolved an issue where transcripts were not loading in public links for Institutions that did not have a history of anonymous viewers.
- When viewing content outside of Echo360, we no longer display the Transcript Panel until the transcript is available.
- Resolved an issue where the IP Camera Configuration page for Admins was taking too long to load for Institutions with a lot of cameras.
- Resolved an issue where some live streams could fail to start.
- Resolved an issue where some content was not playing back correctly in the new player when viewing outside of Echo360.
- Resolved an issue where a scheduled capture could be marked as already completed if the schedule or configuration was updated while the capture was in pre-roll.
- Resolved an issue where some captures in the new player had no audio if the audio was attached to the secondary input source.
- Students who do NOT have access to their library (the student library is turned off for the institution) can no longer be added to Groups as anything higher than “View Only” membership privileges.
- Resolved an issue where deleting a lesson did not remove all LTI link references, preventing instructors from fixing links to it from the LMS course.